Thursday, August 18, 2016

Furnace Cover

I totally should have taken a during process photo of this but at least I got the before and after!! This has been one of those tasks that, though small, was a big deal to me. My furnace cover was gross. The paint was ugly and there were spots of nasty rust that seemed really deep. I sat down with my cover and a wire brush on my cordless drill and got to work. Unfortunately the wire brush wasn't working as well as I'd hope so hubby suggested I use the angle grinder. That worked awesome and in no time I had stripped it to the bare metal and stripped down through the rust. I wiped it down with a rag, blew it off with the air hose, sprayed it down with brake cleaner and let it dry in the sun. Then I applied 2 coats of flame resistant aluminum color paint and let it "bake" in the sun for several days where the day time temps reached the 90s. The entire process took almost 2 weeks but the results are awesome!
                                  BEFORE                                       AFTER

No comments:

Post a Comment