Friday, October 14, 2016

October 2016

Wow is time flying. I work on Ziggy when I can but with kiddo in Volleyball and Basketball along with Girl Scouts and of course school and homework my time is stretched to the max.

Anyhow, I've finished up several loose ends:
  • Attached the front piece on the shelf/bunk.
  • Drilled the bunk ply and rails for eyebolts to hold the ply in place.
  • Completed the paneling inside the street side dinette bench.
  • Filled all screw holes around the windows and door with tooth picks and gorilla glue so that the new screws will have something to bite into. I had to laugh because once all of the holes were filled and I was waiting for the glue to dry it I thought it looked like some kind of weird fortress

 
  • Installed the shelf below the front window, the l brackets I was using for bracing of the walls and other furniture were too big so I had to get different ones. I still have to secure the shelf with those but it's cut and ready. I did get a better quality wood for that shelf since it won't be painted, I'll polyurethane it instead. I think it will look neat with my butcher block style table top that will sit just below it.
 
I mentioned back in September that I had decided to forgo replacing the street side bench back cupboard and to build a removable cupboard. Well that plan has changed, at least for the time being. I was at my favorite wine and beer store and noticed that a lot of their decorating was done with the wooden shipping boxes for wine. I asked the owner if he ever had any of the wooden boxes that he would part with. He asked what I was wanting them for and I told him that I was upcycling a vintage trailer and that I thought they would work quite well on the shelf to hold camping gear. He thought it was such a cool idea he looked around to see what he had. He had 2 quite large ones that he said he gave me for free!! I was ecstatic!! I went home that night and set them on the shelf and they looked so cool. Then it hit me, these are just about as deep as the space I need to fill up front. I set them on end with the opening against the wall and sure enough they are gonna work slick. The only thing was that 2 didn't fill the entire width, I was going to need exactly one more. So back to the store (Of course I bought beer each time I went!) and asked if they had just one more box. He had one and was happy to give it up to such a great cause. These boxes will work at least temporarily so I can focus on other things to get Ziggy camping ready. I'm thinking they'll be perfect for the bedding for the dinette bed and when it is a bed they will slide under the table nicely.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment