Thursday, June 25, 2015

Work Session- 9

Last night was a great night!! Hubby and I had tried several different control settings on the furnace when we were trying to light it over the weekend. Last night I tried a couple more combinations. I think over the weekend we hadn't held the control knob in long enough to get any air or old propane out of the system. I took my time and gave the lines plenty of time to fill with propane. I figured out that the dials don't go to the top setting but the pin-like thing between the 2 knobs is the indicator. It was pretty hot in the trailer with it being in the garage and the outside temperatures in the mid-nineties so I didn't think I would be able to get the furnace to kick on so I was happy just getting the pilot light lit. Just for shits and giggles though, I turned the knob to 9 (the highest setting), gave it a few seconds and voila! the damn thing kicked on!! Then it was on to the oven. I could see where the pilot light was so I knew where to aim the lighter but I couldn't figure out how to get the gas to turn on.... I has a feeling it was more than just turning the oven on because if you turned the oven off the pilot light would also go out...I looked around for about 5 minutes and noticed that in front of the vent at the back of the range there was a hinge. I pulled a little on the vent hoping there may be something under the vent cover...nope... but I knew that hinge wasn't there for not, so I reached my fingers into the hole for one of burners and gave a firm tug and up it came. I looked around in 20 years of dust and gunk and there it was! In the front corner was a small lever on the gas line coming out of the oven control know. I moved the lever, and turned on the oven and I could hear the quiet hiss of the gas coming on in the oven. I reached in with the lighter and lit the pilot light, then I turned on the oven and it fired right up!!! One of the coolest things about this project is finding things that work. For free, I had very little expectations for things to still work. remember this trailer sat unused for 20 years. Lots of rust and rot so when something works it gives you a renewed energy about the whole project. I love my Ziggy!!

I also worked on rebuilding the framework. The first part of this trailer that I knew needed replaced was taken care of last night. The far back upright! It was pretty cool to see what I had pictured it would look like come to reality. Again, I used liquid nails for added strength to the joints. This weekend I will make a trip to home depot to get the insulation, a few more pieces of lumber for the front-end framework and some plywood for added strength to the corners and rebuilding the interior "furniture". I was hot and tired so no new pictures yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment