Monday, September 8, 2014

Work Session 2-

This weekend hubby and I worked on removing more of the water damaged paneling. We were happy to see that when we pulled back the paneling on the sides just forward of the back wall that the structural supports are in perfect condition. I am more confident now that the kitchenette and closet area is solid. I think I'll leave the paneling in this area intact and give it a coat of paint. Something to make the Aqua appliances really stand out.

I also took a little time to remove the trim from around all of the windows as well as all the curtain brackets.

Since I'm not going to be removing all of the paneling I need to figure out a way to cut the paneling in a more precise way than my skill saw. I'm thinking along the lines of a Dremel tool with a cutting blade. Any other ideas?

Hubby did some research on wood-rot repair and found a product called CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer). After learning more about CPES I'm excited that we can treat and increase the structural integrity of the supports we're leaving in place.

We made a trip into town to get some things we'll need for the project as it progresses. I picked up some 1x3 and 1x2 furring strip boards to use for the replacement and additional interior supports. We also found the material we'll use to replace the damaged paneling. I've borrowed my Dad's brad/staple nailer in the past but figured it's time to get my own. I also got a new mini pry bar to use for more delicate demolition. Is that an oxymoron?... delicate demolition...

After some thought I'm thinking I may change the front dinette a bit. The bed created when the dinette is folded down is shorter than a typical bed. I think I'll permanently remove the small cabinet behind the sink side bench to lengthen the bed and thus make it useable by a normal human being . I'm already going to be taking it out to fix the damaged wall behind it so it seems a reasonable alteration. I'll have to create a "spacer' to sit behind the bench back cushion to keep it at a proper distance from the table. At this point my thought is to either create a wooden spacer or a thick sturdy cushion spacer. Either of which can be removed when the dinette is made into a bed.

Next step will be to borrow a pressure washer to clean up the outside and see where we have leaks! This step needs done sooner than later. The weather isn't getting any warmer and we need to get the trailer moved inside so I can work on it over the winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment