Monday, September 15, 2014

Work Session 3-

As planned, this weekend was dedicated to cleaning the outside of the trailer and checking for leaks. The use of my parents' pressure washer proved handy. I sprayed the entire trailer down with bleach, let it sit for about an hour then proceeded with the pressure washer. No scrubbing necessary! Even the front fiberglass shield/shade came clean. The combination of bleach, time, sunlight and the pressure washer did wonders! I'm very happy with the results. Pictures coming soon!.

Using the pressure washer on every inch of the outside allowed us to watch and see where water might be making it's way inside. The vent/window for the bunk bed leaks around the frame. The front window leaks a little above the window. The back corner at a horizontal seam leaks a tiny bit. I will seal it from the inside, however I only think the water came in because the pressure washer was forcing water up under the overlap of the seam, rain is not likely to flow up with that much pressure. Even with the new leaks we discovered I believe there are less leaks than I'd originally thought. I really think that much of the moisture in the trailer was from 20 years of condensation and lack of ventilation for evaporation. I will make every effort to seal her up tight.

When I got the trailer home I looked it over fairly thoroughly. There's a piece of cardboard laying over the stove, which I've left in place to protect the stove from my tools I tend to set there. I had looked under the cardboard to check the condition of the stove and noticed that the burner grates were missing. This weekend I looked in the oven to see what kind of a mess there may be inside. There were the grates and the tiniest broiling pan I've ever seen.

The trailer is ready to move inside when the weather gets to cold and/or wet to work on it outside. As for now I figure the fresh air and sunlight will help dry it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment